A blog by Elsevier published in the past week authored by Dr. Filipe Branco dos Santos, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences at the University of Amsterdam, argues that we could stand to benefit from a change in academic writing.
Specifically, the author offers various tips that writers can use to better engage readers with research. These tips include:
- Give your article an interesting title.
- Write in active sentences.
- Write short sentences and paragraphs.
- Don’t use unnecessary jargon.
- Enrich your article with AudioSlides or a lay summary.
The full article can be found here.
Ryan co-runs Aspire Scientific, a dynamic, forward-thinking medical writing agency. Ryan has a passion for innovation, science and ethical communication.